Dear DSBN Elementary In-Person Learning Families:
We are excited to welcome your child back to in-person learning on Monday, February 8. Please review the information below to be prepared for a few new safety practices:
- Children in Kindergarten are encouraged to wear a mask, but they are not required to based on the Ministry of Education and Niagara Public Health recommendations.
- Children in Grades 1-3 will now be wearing masks in class and on the bus, just like their peers in Grades 4-8. We have masks for students who don’t have one or who have lost or damaged theirs.
- When playing outside and unable to safely distance, students will wear their masks.
- As has been our practice since school started in September, we will not permit non-essential visitors in our school. You can continue to drop off or pick up items for your child in the school foyer.
- You may have heard that schools may be offering COVID-19 testing. This will be implemented by Niagara Public Health and the Ministry of Education and will not be determined by the DSBN. As we receive information, we will keep you informed.
February Learning Options
Although we are ready and excited for your child to come back, we understand that for a variety of reasons, you may not yet be ready to send your child back to school. That’s okay. We want to be flexible with you to ensure your child keeps learning in an environment that you are comfortable with.
Alternate Options Available for In-person Elementary Students
If you feel a little more time learning at home works best for you and your child, we encourage you to reach out to your child’s Home School Principal to discuss other short-term home learning options that are available. This could include DSBN Learn from Home Asynchronous online learning options or paper work packages, all while your child remains connected to their Home School and homeroom teacher. These options will be available for up to 4 weeks, at which time families will have the opportunity to confirm their learning preference (either virtual or in-person) for the remainder of the school year, making it an ideal option for families who just need a little more time.
If your child is returning to school for in-person learning, you do not need to contact the office. We’ll see them on Monday, February 8. Even though we are back, it is important that you continue to do your child’s daily self-screening before sending them to school. Here is a link: https://covid-19.ontario.ca/school-screening/
If you are choosing to delay your child’s return to in-person learning, please inform the school office as soon as possible by email or leaving a voicemail so that we can connect with you to discuss options.
As always, please feel free to reach out to your principal with any questions or concerns you may have.